Court update · 20 August 2026Wetland Watch
The Madras High Court First Division Bench adjourned the Pallikaranai NGT construction-ban cases to 7 September 2026 after the State filed a status report listing survey numbers where the ban could stay or be lifted as an interim measure. The freeze itself has not been lifted.
CHENNAI / OMR — The Madras High Court First Division Bench of Chief Justice Sushrut Arvind Dharmadhikari and Justice G. Arul Murugan on Thursday adjourned to 7 September 2026 a batch of cases challenging the National Green Tribunal’s construction restriction around Pallikaranai marshland, Chennai’s Ramsar wetland on the Old Mahabalipuram Road corridor.
Chennai, 20 August 2026 — MyOMR is tracking this as a Wetland Watch court desk for Pallikaranai, Perumbakkam, Sholinganallur, Perungudi, Velachery, Thoraipakkam and Medavakkam. This is a news briefing, not legal advice.
What the court recorded on 20 August
Additional Advocate General P.V. Balasubramaniam placed a status report before the Bench. According to court reporting, the note lists certain survey numbers where the construction ban could continue and certain other survey numbers where the ban could be lifted as an interim measure until the final scientific “zone of influence” around the marsh is determined.
The judges granted time to Senior Counsel P.S. Raman, appearing for CREDAI-Chennai, and to other parties, to read that report and then make submissions. The matters were posted to 7 September 2026.
That is an adjournment for study and argument. It is not a final judgment, and it is not a general licence to restart stalled projects.
Why this matters on OMR
Pallikaranai is not a distant forest. It sits inside South Chennai, next to the IT corridor, metro works, housing layouts and long-settled neighbourhoods. The NGT Southern Zone’s 24 September 2025 order, as later administered by CMDA, has been understood as a halt on new construction approvals across a reported one-kilometre belt covering about 8,584.44 acres (about 3,474 hectares).
CREDAI-Chennai and other petitioners told the High Court that a uniform circle is unscientific and freezes development rights over already urban land. Environmental groups and wetland advocates argue that Pallikaranai is Chennai’s primary urban flood sponge and that construction on inflow paths would repeat the city’s monsoon failures.
The Bench had earlier said it was inclined to look beyond a blanket ban imposed before the zone of influence is scientifically fixed, while warning that any relaxation must not become a licence for indiscriminate building around the marsh. The 20 August survey-number report is the State’s attempt, on the court record, to draw that interim line plot by plot rather than as a perfect circle.
How we got here
- 24 September 2025 NGT Southern Zone restrains approvals in a one-kilometre “zone of influence” around the Pallikaranai Ramsar site until scientific mapping is complete.
- 9 October 2025 CMDA Office Order No. 07/2025 operationalises the pause on planning permissions. See our freeze explainer for patta holders.
- July 2026 Tamil Nadu State Wetland Authority tells the High Court there is no fixed one-kilometre buffer; hydrology, not a compass circle, must decide the zone.
- Early August 2026 The First Division Bench adjourns the batch to 20 August and asks the State for suggestions on where a ban should stay and where it could be eased until the final map is ready.
- 20 August 2026 The State files a survey-number status report. CREDAI and others get time to study it. Next date: 7 September 2026.
What residents, buyers and builders should do now
Do not assume a survey number is “cleared” because it may appear in a government note. The court has not yet accepted, rejected or modified that list in a final order. For a specific parcel:
- Note the village, survey number and subdivision from patta / FMB.
- Check CMDA or Greater Chennai Corporation planning status in writing.
- Compare the plot against Ramsar / reserve-forest maps and drainage channels feeding the marsh.
- Wait for the 7 September listing, or a published order, before treating any interim lift as operative.
- Take independent legal advice. This article cannot decide a title, loan or building-plan dispute.
Buyers along Perumbakkam, Sholinganallur, Pallikaranai, Velachery and the inner OMR belt should still ask for current planning permission, RERA status and any wetland or court caveat before paying a booking amount. Background ecology: Pallikaranai Marsh Ramsar explainer and why the marsh is flood infrastructure.
What the court is trying to balance
The dispute is no longer a simple yes-or-no on “construction versus conservation.” The judges have asked for an interim map that protects water sources into the wetland without freezing every urban plot inside an arbitrary kilometre. CREDAI has told the court it does not oppose protection of the notified 1,247.54-hectare marsh itself. The fight is over the surrounding belt, where metro, IT parks, homes and public utilities already stand.
Until 7 September, the legally cautious reading for OMR remains the same as in July: the scientific basis of a uniform 1-km circle is under review, and the administrative freeze has not been withdrawn.
Frequently asked questions
When is the next Madras High Court hearing on the Pallikaranai construction ban?
The First Division Bench adjourned the batch of cases to 7 September 2026 so that CREDAI-Chennai and other parties can study the State status report on survey numbers.
Has the NGT 1-km construction ban around Pallikaranai been lifted?
No. The 20 August 2026 hearing did not lift the National Green Tribunal restriction. The court only received an interim status report and posted the matter to 7 September 2026.
What did the Tamil Nadu government tell the High Court on 20 August 2026?
Additional Advocate General P.V. Balasubramaniam submitted a status report listing certain survey numbers where the construction ban could continue and others where it could be lifted as an interim measure until the final zone of influence is determined.
What does this mean for OMR, Perumbakkam and Sholinganallur property owners?
Planning permissions in the reported 1-km belt remain frozen until a further court order. Owners should not treat the status report as clearance to build. Check survey records, CMDA status and legal advice for a specific plot.
Related MyOMR coverage
- Pallikaranai Ramsar freeze — what the 1-km approval ban means
- Wetland Authority: no fixed 1-km buffer
- Pallikaranai as Chennai flood infrastructure
- OMR wetlands are everyone’s responsibility
- Pallikaranai Marsh — Ramsar site guide
Court reporting cited: Madras High Court First Division Bench proceedings of 20 August 2026, as reported by The Hindu (earlier 20 August listing) and the 20 August 2026 court-desk update from The Hindu Chennai. Earlier NGT / CREDAI context: DT Next.
Disclaimer: Civic journalism for OMR readers. Not a court order, not legal advice, and not a finding on any survey number. The legal position can change on 7 September 2026 or earlier if an order is uploaded. Verify a specific plot with CMDA, the local body and counsel.